A whole lot about nothing really. You'll get bored I'm sure.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Apartment Troubles

I would love a nice cool breeze right now. It is hotter in my apartment than it is outside. An old lady blows out cooler air than my air conditioner. What? What's that you say? Call the maintenance people? Oh, I already did that. It's fine. Let's define their definition of fine. When I first moved in, my dishwasher didn't drain. I called them, it's fine. As we speak, there is a puddle of smelly water at the bottom of my dishwasher. When the drain in my sink took forever to go down, I called them again. It's fine. Well, as long as you turn the disposal on if you want the water to drain it is.
So, here is my thought. With my next rent check I want to include pictures of the following; Exhibit A - A picture of my air conditioner that works 'fine' with a thermometer that shows it in the ON position, show that with it on, it is still 90 degrees in here.
Exhibit B - A picture of the smelly water in the bottom of my dishwasher.
Exhibit C - The standing water in my sink.
Exhibit D - A letter stating that if these things are not corrected, I'm with holding my next months rent.
So, do you think this is legal? Is this something that can be done and if so, do I have a legal leg to stand on? Don't I have a right to cool air and to water free dishwashers?

5 Comments:

Blogger shortensweet said...

For the record, as far as the drain thing goes. I've tried Draino, ice, and exhaused all of the resources a renter should. I might be a girl, but I am NOT helpless.

11:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm no lawyer, but I do know it is legal to withold rent....as long as you do it LEGALLY...which means you have to notify them first that you intend to withold the rent if things are not fixed. Then, the money has to be put in escrow and can be only used for the purposes of fixing the defective equipment. You may need some help to do this right...try online???. Anyone else got any ideas?

5:57 PM

 
Blogger shortensweet said...

Update: Outdoors 92, indoors 89. Air is one, so does that mean the air is working?

3:55 PM

 
Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

Give 'em hell, Ralphie. And let them know that you do favors for those that do favors for you. It might spur them on to action.

2:59 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

YEEEEE-HAAAAWWWWW!!!! You GO Girl!

(i'd be too scared to do it.)

10:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home