A whole lot about nothing really. You'll get bored I'm sure.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Summer Daze

Remember being a kid and it was summer vacation? I remember waking up (late) and eating cereal in my brothers tshirt and watching cartoons. Then we'd go outside. Outside we'd pretend we were stuntmen or explorers. We lived next to a 'gully' and my brother told me it was the land of the fairies. There would be tree trunks exposed and that is where they would live. I remember spending days looking for fares, and I secretly wanted to find one and capture it so I'd have it as a pet and it would show me all of the other places the fairies lived. We sat in the shade and would have something cool to drink, or we'd go get ice cream that was paid for by returning pop bottles at Millers. We'd climb trees, catch frogs, go fishing. We could usually find Mom under the shade of a tree on her Indian blanket reading a book, eating Do Dadds and smoking Merits.

My summers were magical. I didn't have a pool, or a sprinkler even to play in. We didn't have cable, or a VCR. We went outside and we played, and we played and played. We'd have picnics and go to the beach. Sometimes, we'd go to the beach at night and have a fire. Mom would play the guitar and we'd sing songs and look for UFO's.
It's kinda sad to think that kids don't do these things on summer vacation now. Now summer vacations are pools, and tv. Going from one air conditioned place to the other. I hope there are some kids someplace looking for fairies, and playing in the woods. I want those days back.

11 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Those are some precious and beautiful memories, Jamie. Funny how easy it is to forget the wonder of our childhood. I remember my brother and I would leave on our bikes in the early morning, not to return until dusk and being exhausted from playing all day long. Unfortunately, I think it's a different world now for kids than it was for us back then. I do hope that somehow my kids will be able to grasp some of the innocence and simplicity of a summer day like that.

1:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you got me remembering...summer in Pentwater meant belly-crawling through neighbor's gardens (cowgirl) and under their latticed porches to hide from the enemies (Indians) or spying on people (detectives). Going door to door trying to sell our dad's ashtray and our big Golden Retriever (who looked sad) to get candy and toy money for the five and dime (no takers). Running away from home and hiding under the spirea bush (in our yard)eating dry crackers and crying (age 4) thinking no one cared.

1:46 AM

 
Blogger shortensweet said...

I forgot things like playing baseball at the park, or 4th of July downtown, and camping. We always went camping. Can I be 10 again?

10:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you remember those things that made you happy as a child you can go back to them again. Just because you look grown up on the outside doesn't mean you have to feel grown up on the inside...when it comes to fun, I mean!

1:29 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Jamikins, for a guy who as into kids as much as I am, you'd think I'd remember my own childhood a little better - for some reason I don't. You're post really took me back, though, it's good to feel the sights and sounds and smells again. You obviously remember the 'Fall Guy' induced 'stuntman club' and your eternal initiation (we never had any intention of making you, my kid sister, a full member), do you remember all the times clumsy Stevie hurt himself?

8:31 AM

 
Blogger shortensweet said...

I knew I was never going to be a member, I knew that. I was just a pawn, a laugh. I still cry because I was never a 'stunt man' Stevie would trip over someone elses shoe strings. Who could forget his trip out of the back of Mom's Honda??

12:46 PM

 
Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

Here's what I remember about summer: you guys heading off to have a fun adventure and me curling up with a book. No wonder I don't know how to have fun as an adult. I didn't know how to have fun as a child, either.

booo f-ing hoo.

9:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, only not she does command the language of english be, but cute she is definately too much.

8:40 PM

 
Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

Does my fan speak English? Please be more literate when extolling my virtues. :)

Love you, too.

5:10 PM

 
Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

Has anyone checked out my fan's link? It goes to JoeCartoon.atomfilms.com

I love the "no like" email link. Gonna tell my momma! Gonna tell my momma on joe cartoon!

5:15 PM

 
Blogger Little Acorn Learning said...

just wanted to let you know that I make sure my girls have the type of summer you just described. thank you for reminding me why i've chosen to be home with my children rather than go back out to work xoxox eileen

11:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home