A whole lot about nothing really. You'll get bored I'm sure.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

My Valentines Day Date

Since my Valentines Day date was so horrible, I thought I'd share with you my faithful readers every gory detail. For those of you who are single and had to spend it alone, at least you didn't have my day.
I met this guy, we'll call him Mack, at the bar one night. He seemed very nice, had a job, bought my drinks as well as the drinks of the people I was with on more than one occasion. He was interested in the things going on in my life, called often, and really seemed like a decent fella. There was a ten year age difference, but I wasn't going to let that stop a potential love connection.
Our conversations have been that of normal people getting to know each other. In these conversations, he told me of his love of cooking and how much he loves to spoil the special person in his life. The fact he was 40 and had never been married should have sent out a warning bell. But, alas, my ears are deaf to those tones.
He asked that I come to his house on Valentines Day for a special dinner and an evening of engaging conversation. I was pretty excited about this, considering the past few years, I've been alone and I like getting flowers and an evening being all about me. I accepted with a smile and looked forward to the date.
I spend my normal few hours getting ready and pampering myself making sure I looked my best. As I'm looking for his house, I see an old man sitting in a recliner chair watching tv. I finally called him to find out what house was his. Yep..that's right. My date was that old man in the recliner chair watching tv. Every time I had seem him before, it had been sorta dark, and he always had a hat on. I'm not that shallow, so I entered his house with an open mind.
I open the door and walk into a small, but cozy little bachelor pad, complete with bar glasses and mirrored beer advertisements.
He smiled and said, "Everything’s all ready, if you want to grab the tv trays, I'll make you a plate."
I smiled and said ok, thinking he had to have been joking. He had a cleared off dining room table.
Then he says, "They are behind that chair there."
I pull out the first of the two tv trays stained, and slopped with the remnants of previous meals, and set them up in the living room, still thinking that it must be a joke and he has something else planned. He didn’t. Then it came. The dinner. First, the plate. The plate was a picnic plate that was cheap plastic, and a horrible design. I'm not shallow, I just want you to get the whole picture. The food. He made lasagna. He appeared as though he had taken something like a manicotti noodle, and cut them and tried to layer them. The curled noodles were topped with burned ground beef, cottage cheese, Co jack cheese, and what appeared to be tomato juice. The red liquid ran into the other thing on the plate, green beans. Next to the green beans was a sliver of French bread about 1/4 of an inch wide. As you can imagine, the lasagna didn't taste the best, the green beans tasted just like cat pee smells. The sliver of French bread was very tasty. You would have been proud Momma, I left half on my plate and claimed to be stuffed, just like the little lady you raised.
While we are sitting in our chairs, facing the tv, he starts to channel surf to find something to watch. He ends up watching a public access channel where they have horrible karaoke singers at a club called Dreamers which got us on our next gem of a conversation .We started talking about dreams, and I shared one of the dreams I had from the previous night with him.
His reply was, "I don't generally dream. I usually have to get up and 'give birth' and there have been times it stunk so bad that I haven't been able to go back to bed without having to open both the door and the window. Last night, I really thought I gave birth and I expected to see teeth and hair."
Nice. Thank you I know now I'll never be spending the night with you. Good info to learn early on.
As our conversation continued, I tried to figure out how in the hell I could get out of there without hurting his feelings. He's going on and on about how he forgot that day was Valentines Day in other words, he didn't get crap for me. I finally yawned and sniffled my way out the door when he lunges in for a kiss to which he quickly got my cheek. I laughed all the way to my car.
I'm not shallow. I love anything anyone does for me, even if it isn't good. The problem here was he raised an expectation to which he had no possible way of meeting. If I really felt like he did the best that he could, I would be telling you about my 'cute' date instead of my date from hell.
Today, he calls me to tell me that I'm perfect. The one he's been looking for, and he thinks he's falling in love with me and that he wants me to give him another chance. What do you think? Should I give Mack the knife or another try?

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Everybody deserves a second chance.

Once he finds out what kind of things bother you, he'll do one of two things:

1. Be more thoughtful and less coarse (he's probably been a bachelor all his life)

2. Get offended and decide you're not so perfect after all. Maybe being a bachelor isn't the the least appealing alternative here. At least he still gets to give birth at his leisure.

10:08 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

i would not give him another chance and let me tell you why...

first, this was the 1st date with him, whether it was valentine's day or not, he should have done so much more to impress you.

2nd, if you give him another chance he might try to impress you but it will fade later. Men have one chance to impress you. This was not cool. you deserved to be treated like a princess and not just in the bars.

this is my personal opinion, i might be wrong but i don't care. i would just stay friends and nothing more.

btw, is this the guy that your mom says has short arms?

10:21 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

oops, i should have read ray's comment before i posted mine. ray has really good points and he does possess more wisdom than i do.

10:29 AM

 
Blogger shortensweet said...

Yep, it's the same one. CD does have good points, BUT, I agree with Trophy Wife. I think I deserve someone to treat me better. :)

12:44 PM

 
Blogger shortensweet said...

There is one thing I did forget to mention. On 2 different occasions. he and I made plans only for him not to show up or call me. So, he was given a 2nd chance.
Also, I hope this doesn't make me sound shallow. I'm really not.

2:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Live and learn. Thats life, just don't give up. He is out there, waiting for a gal like you. Van says you shouldnt have any trouble getting a good man, because you are intelligent and have a good personality and we all agreed. So keep on keeping on.

4:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I don't think you should give him another chance and here is why: what he gave you was the real him, in his natural habitat. He may be a nice guy who tried his best, but his "best" left you feeling cheated and let down. So this is not a guy with whom you would have a future, he is someone you found you wouldn't really enjoy as a companion or future lover. That is what first dates are for, to get to know someone a little better so you can decide if you want a second date. The only reason for a second chance is if you think this is someone you want in your life at this point. Unless you want to wake up to the fetid stink of a live birth with teeth and hair, I say let him know you are not interested in anything but friendship.

6:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with mom. Hope you knew that when you read my post. He is someone out there not the guy you had that date with.

10:40 PM

 
Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

There would never be another date with this guy if I were you. It is not just about his failing to make you feel appreciated, it is about what is NORMAL in his life. Normalcy is eating off disgustingly slopped-on TV trays. Normal is talking about taking a shit when you eat. Normal is failing to meet your promises to someone. Is that what you want your normal, everyday life to be? If not, then RUN FOR THE FREAKIN HILLS! He got his second chance twice - the first one was after he stood you up the first time. This guy's a loser. Next!

10:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give Mack the knife.

11:20 AM

 
Blogger shortensweet said...

the knife has been given

2:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, it's rather fun to ditch someone in the middle of a date. You should try it sometime.
I personally would have ditched as soon as you realized he wasn't joking about the TV dinner trays.

I made Rhonda dinner one night when we were dating. Granted it was bachelor chow, but was good bachelor chow. If I remember, it was stir fry.

I even went the extra mile and got real caviar so Rhonda and I could try it. It sucks, don't bother.

If his idea of cooking is crappy lasagna, you would have been money ahead to leave and walk around WalMart on the off chance of meeting someone new.

When I went on my one date with Diane (back in high school) we were maybe an hour into the date when I looked at her and stated "You are a bitch".

That was the end of our date. I never regretted that moment.

When I was young and single I went on an awful lot of first dates. Don't ever feel guilty about saying no to a second date. The extra time spent with a loser means you don't have that time to find the right person.

Look at the statistics:
You live in GR. There's a lot of single guys in GR.
We will assume there are 5000 single and age appropriate men within 30 miles.
We will also assume that 90% of them are losers or have no similar interests.
If you spend 1 night with each remaining guy, it will take you 500 nights or 1 year 4 months to spend one date.
If you were to give each guy a second chance and to stand you up, you would spend the next 2.7 years of going out every night, trying to weed out absolute losers from first time losers.

3:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home