A whole lot about nothing really. You'll get bored I'm sure.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Halloween

Halloween is an interesting holiday. Today, for kids, it's about dressing up and going door to door and getting a treat. The tricking part is left for the teenagers. Shaving cream, toilet pappering, egging, rolling pumpkins down the big hill in town (in the little town I lived in), or just smashing them along side the road. For adults, it's about dressing up and get getting drunk the Saturday before at some bar or a party. Good times.
This is how it is for some people. There are a lot of people who believe that Halloween is an 'evil' holiday and that it celebrates satan. I've done a bit of research on this because I LOVE halloween and it always bugs me when people say, I hate it..it's satans holiday. Well..guess what...here is the truth about halloween.
The word itself, "Halloween," actually has its origins in the Catholic Church. It comes from a contracted corruption of All Hallows Eve. November 1, "All Hollows Day" (or "All Saints Day"), is a Catholic day of observance in honor of saints. But, in the 5th century BC, in Celtic Ireland, summer officially ended on October 31. The holiday was called Samhain (sow-en), the Celtic New year. Keep reading, it will all make sense in a minute.
One story says that, on that day, the disembodied spirits of all those who had died throughout the preceding year would come back in search of living bodies to possess for the next year. It was believed to be their only hope for the afterlife. The Celts believed all laws of space and time were suspended during this time, allowing the spirit world to intermingle with the living.
Naturally, the still-living did not want to be possessed. So on the night of October 31, villagers would extinguish the fires in their homes, to make them cold and undesirable. They would then dress up in all manner of ghoulish costumes and noisily paraded around the neighborhood, being as destructive as possible in order to frighten away spirits looking for bodies to possess.
The Romans adopted the Celtic practices as their own. But in the first century AD, Samhain was assimilated into celebrations of some of the other Roman traditions that took place in October, such as their day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple, which might explain the origin of our modern tradition of bobbing for apples on Halloween.
The thrust of the practices also changed over time to become more ritualized. As belief in spirit possession waned, the practice of dressing up like hobgoblins, ghosts, and witches took on a more ceremonial role.
See...starting to sound like the Halloween you know now??? Keep reading....
The custom of Halloween was brought to America in the 1840's by Irish immigrants fleeing their country's potato famine. At that time, the favorite pranks in New England included tipping over outhouses and unhinging fence gates.
The custom of trick-or-treating is thought to have originated not with the Irish Celts, but with a ninth-century European custom called souling. On November 2, All Souls Day, early Christians would walk from village to village begging for "soul cakes," made out of square pieces of bread with currants. The more soul cakes the beggars would receive, the more prayers they would promise to say on behalf of the dead relatives of the donors. At the time, it was believed that the dead remained in limbo for a time after death, and that prayer, even by strangers, could expedite a soul's passage to heaven.
So, as time went on, customs change. Holloween might be about death, but death isn't evil. So, what do you think?? Is it evil? Is it a Pagen holiday?
I stole the history from http://wilstar.com/holidays/hallown.htm but read a lot of other views that were the same, just longer.

13 Comments:

Blogger DCveR said...

And that pretty much wraps it all in a much shorter version. Great post.

5:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good reading......wow.....now I can tell those that dont agree where to go to look up that site...ty...grma

9:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every year at Halloween people come out of the woodwork again to dredge up the controversy. I for one resent others deciding that if I celebrate Halloween and enable others to do so I am really celebrating a Pagan holiday. Hello. I know what a pagan is and I am definitely not one of them. I know what is in my heart and mind when I hand out candy or help someone with their costume and it is about as far from evil as you can get. I was a kid once, too, and the bottom line is that it was all about the candy. If someone chooses to view it darkly, or celebrate it darkly, that is a personal choice that, to me, says much more about the individual than it does about the holiday.

2:44 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Halloween is a cultural holiday, not a spiritual one, despite it's history. The same is true of Christmas and Easter nowadays (unfortunately). I have no more problem letting my kids get dressed up and prowl the dark streets than I do having them search for easter eggs or decorate a Christmas tree.

I make sure teach them about spiritual matters totally seperately from these traditions and past-times because the holidays no longer have meaning - and I guess that's okay.

10:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holloween has transformed into a cultural holliday as chilldaddy pointed out.

It is focused on the joy of eating stuff you do not get to have often. The Holloween celebration is mostly about children and family nowadays...if thats evil..count me in....that is if I wasn't in Rochester NY....Dammit!

3:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halloween this year was a blast! Laura and I sat on the breezeway and handed out treats to children who rushed up to the door flushed with excitement and exercise. All over the neighborhood you could hear the voices of parents and children and they were happy voices. The rain was very light, the wind just barely scattered the leaves, and everywhere there were groups of people large and small in fantastic costumes, going from the dark islands between houses to brightly lighted porches. Kindly people opened their doors to strangers, smiled, and gave out candy to all who asked. They put up decorations and lights and some let their well-behaved dogs come to the door and love on the kids who were there. It was pure joy. Later on, I got to walk around with the kids and Cindy handed out candy. Jamie and Ray not only walked their legs off, but carried a kid here and there when little legs got tired. Many of the people came from neighborhoods where trick or treating wouldn't have been fun or advisable. I say let them come. For those who turned off their lights and didn't participate, that is their right. Once again it was a beautiful night for all who wanted to play the game, and if you could bottle up and keep the joy I saw in the faces of my grandchildren as they ran (or walked!) from house to house, we would have bright sunshine to warm us all winter. Having my children and their families here to enjoy the holiday made it the best yet.

1:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well stated daughter....its the best time for kids and parents to unite for a fun time.....love ya and yours ....grma

12:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I'll bet NONE of the trick-or-treaters or parents rushed home to worship the devil or thank evil for Halloween....they simply enjoyed the "spirit" of the holiday and being together. like I said before..if this is evil..count me in.
--YooBee

3:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, yoobee, we missed you and your trick or treaters this year. I guess you don't remember this very well but I never was a sugar freak. I was probably sitting in the corner sprinkling salt on a peanut butter kiss to make it taste good. However, I do accept my share of food fight violence as I once dented the forehead of a sib with the Nestle's Quik can she had just gleefully emptied in front of my horror-stricken eyes. I did feel terrible remorse though.

12:30 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

With a family legacy like that, I have to wonder where Shortensweet and I got our gentle nature's.

9:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you got your gentle nature from your maturnal grand mother....Iam sure of it.....lol....

3:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem Mom....I love the way you gracefully excused yourself as the guilty party in the Halloween story. No you were not the perpetrator in THIS particular act of violence because it was a story about Halloween. This Halloween story leaped from the ol’ trash heap because I was feeling bad about being in NY rather than with my family. A family type story was in order being that I could not share the Holliday with all of you. If the story were about something YOU did, it would certainly contain a blow by blow account of how you verbally stripped me of any self worth, convinced me that I should sort, arrange and deliver the candy to you in the most expedient yet royal method possible. Fewer Points would be deducted should I select all your favorites in the proper order of consumption and for gathering the goodies without soiled or sweaty hands. Nope, not about you….I do recall you were not a sugar freak but none of us really were, the times we had confections were infrequent and they were doled out sparingly, besides….we non-sugar freaks consumed 10,000 times the recommended daily amount each morning with our first cup of coffee (also not recommended for children).
There are many tales of corruption, greed and random acts of violence stored in the time capsule of my memory, some of which you play a starring role. By the way Chill Daddy….have you heard the one about the “Rocking Chair Incident”?
--YooBee

4:18 PM

 
Blogger --YooBee said...

Ok, I started one....yippee.....

7:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home